Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Running Week 1/31 thru 2/6

It was a pretty good week, I guess. Monday, the 31st was a scheduled rest day, just like all Mondays for the next couple of months. Same as Friday. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were 5 mile days at lunch. I'm a bit "ahead" of the training plan due to my 5 miles a day for 5 days a week "base" -- the plan calls for a little less than 5 mile days but I'm not going to drop below the 5 mile/day threshold on weekdays. When the plan starts adding miles on the weekdays, I'll do the same. As for the weekends, Saturday was a 3 mile run and Sunday was a 10 mile run. I'm enjoying the "3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off" schedule with an exception: it sucks to sit on my hands and watch my friends go out on Mondays and Fridays.

The weekday runs were pretty 'normal' types of run on the 5 mile loop at work. We've had a great stretch of nice days so getting out at lunch has been very nice. The Saturday run was in my neighborhood. It was basically uneventful except for a close call with a car. I was at a four way intersection. There were two cars at the stop sign. After the first car rolled away from the stop sign, I started through the intersection. The second car rolled through the stop sign directly behind the first car, without even slowing down. If I had a half size larger shoe, my big toe would have been flattened by the rear tire. I really don't get people. Had the driver followed the traffic law and stopped at the stop sign, I could have quickly cleared the intersection. It really pissed me off. I wish I would have punched the rear corner panel as it rolled by me. It wouldn't have done any good but I would have felt a ton better.

Then, on Sunday, I had another auto situation. I'm running on the side of the road toward traffic when a pickup truck comes along and literally brushes my coat that is flapping in the breeze. There are no other cars on the road at that moment. The ironic thing is that the truck had the blue emergency lights on it. You'd think that the driver would be slightly more aware than "John Q. Public" given the blue lights. I dropped an f-bomb at him: "f***ing a**hole". It didn't do any good but I felt a 1/2 ton better ;-)

Josh was with me on his bike on Sunday. He did the full 10+ miles on his bike along with me. He held up well except for his butt. It got kinda sore after awhile but he did hang in there. He carried our drinks and food in his backpack. It helped me out alot and it was so very nice having him with me to talk to.

I took some gatoraid and some orange wedges out on the run Sunday. The drink seemed to give me some G.I. issues. The orange seemed to work OK. I sure hope I can get a handle on the nutrition issues. It is still pretty early in the plan with lots of looooong runs ahead of me so I still have an opportunity to get a grip. Suggestions appreciated.

So, to wrap up, here's a summary of the last couple of weeks (Mon thru Sun):
Week - Totals
1/31 - 28 miles
1/24 - 34 miles
1/17 - 23 miles
1/10 - 25 miles

'till next time, see ya further on up the road ...

No comments: