Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ten Minutes

Have you ever wondered what ten minutes look like? Today I discovered exactly what ten minutes look like. Let me show you what ten minutes look like.

Twenty four weeks ago, I began a 20 week training program with Kevin Collins as part of 1st Marathon (Syracuse). Kevin has a training regimen developed over the years as a three-time U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier. We did everything from 60 to 75 minute base days, hill repeats, track speed workouts and long runs of over 3 hours on hilly trails. He has helped me to build consistency and quality into my running.

Twenty four weeks ago, I began a journey that I was not sure I would be physically able to complete. I didn't have a target marathon when I began the program. My goals for the program were:
  • to see if I could stand up to the rigor of a training program
  • to improve my performance at a couple of my favorite races in the fall, including distances of up to 14 miles
  • to develop the discipline and a program to maintain a higher level of fitness throughout the winter
  • to carry all that forward and work even harder in the summer 2008 targeting a fall 2008 marathon
However, I almost signed up for a marathon as I listened to Kevin talk about things such as the marathon taper. And I second-guessed my original goals as other members of the group went off and ran their respective target marathons. I even had pangs of regret as I watched those folks achieved remarkable performances: 22 minute PR's, multiple Boston qualifiers and people running new distances that they never had before. I ended up spending a couple of soul-searching long runs deciding that my original goals were indeed important to me and worth sticking with.

For me, ten minutes look like twenty four weeks of focused training following the guidance of a gifted athlete turned coach. Ten minutes look like hot, sweaty, brutal track speed workouts in the middle of a typical Central New York summer. Ten minutes look like wobbly, "noodle legs" only three quarters into a three hour plus run on Green Lakes State park trails.

Ten minutes look like a new PR at the Danby Down & Dirty 10k Trail Run this morning!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good work, man! All those hill work outs and miles in the backwoods of Green Lakes weren't for naught. Hehe.

Doing the 10k was the race day plan, correct? Thought I remember you hedging a bit, but thought you were all the 10k.